Being charged and arrested with any criminal charge is a scary and concerning time for anybody. If you are charged with sexual assault, here are some of the things you must do:
- Do not speak with the police while at the police station. Your statement can be used against you at your trial, but, rarely, can it assist you at your trial.
- Consult with and hire an experienced criminal defence lawyer.
- Immediately gather all evidence, such as text messages, or any social media, which you can provide to your lawyer.
- Speak to potential witnesses and introduce those witnesses to your defence lawyer.
- When you consult with your lawyer, review with them your story while it may still be fresh in your mind.
These are all important steps when charged with any criminal offence, but especially for sexual assault charges. Many times, the case rests solely on the credibility and reliability of the witnesses with limited to no corroborative evidence.
Although the penalty for a sexual assault conviction can vary greatly depending on the nature of the sexual assault and the number of different allegations, the impact of all sexual assault allegations can be severe. An allegation can impact your reputation and livelihood which can have a substantial impact on your day-to-day life.
The lawyers of Lockyer Zaduk Zeeh are experienced in defending people facing sexual assault allegations. Lockyer Zaduk Zeeh defends sexual assault allegations across the GTA in Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, East York, and Scarborough. If you or someone you know is charged with sexual assault, please contact us at 416-613-0416.