I Want to Appeal My Bail?
If you want to review your existing bail conditions or seek a change in your detention status, here is an overview of the process for bringing a bail review:
- Consult with your lawyer: It is essential to consult with a criminal defence lawyer who can assess your situation, advise you on the feasibility of a bail review, and guide you through the process.
- Gather relevant information: Your lawyer will work with you to gather all relevant information, such as any new evidence or circumstances that support your request for a bail review (error of law or a material change in circumstances). This may include changes in your personal circumstances, new information regarding the case, or reasons to challenge the existing bail conditions.
- Prepare the application: Your lawyer will prepare a written application for a bail review. The application will include supporting affidavits and will outline the grounds for the review and present the relevant information and arguments supporting your request.
- File the application: Your lawyer will file the application for a bail review with the appropriate court. The specific court will depend on the jurisdiction and the stage of the legal proceedings.
- Serve and file the application: After filing the application, your lawyer will serve a copy of the application to the Crown’s office. The bail review materials will then be filed with the Court.
- Attend the bail review hearing: A hearing will be scheduled for your bail review. During the hearing, your lawyer will present your case to the judge, highlighting the reasons for the review and the need for a change in your bail conditions. The Crown prosecutor will also have an opportunity to respond to your application.
- Await the court’s decision: After considering the arguments and evidence presented, the judge will decide regarding your bail review. The judge can maintain the detention order or release you on judicial interim release. They can also choose to maintain the existing bail conditions, modify them, or grant a new form of release.
Schedule a consultation with Toronto bail review lawyers, Lockyer Zaduk Zeeh, by calling our office at 416-613-0416 or by e-mailing us at email@example.com. LZZ is experienced at conducting bail reviews and have represented clients across Ontario seeking bail reviews.